In honor of my 10th book going out to an agent/publisher for consideration, I bring you: What I Do After Completing a Manuscript
1) Sigh happily with a dreamy expression on my face.
2) Dust the entire house. You heard me. This house doesn't get dusted but maybe 4-5x yearly which interestingly enough, corresponds exactly with me finishing either my first big draft of a new manuscript or the final product of a manuscript. Domestic goddess, I am not. But when the dust bunnies achieve sentience, I need to do something or they'll start unionizing.
3) A treat. Today, hubs got me some kind of magical Gelato that has cookie dough and fudge stripes in it. Makes me want to write another book, just to get more!
4) All the stuff I have been putting off because I need my brain to stay in creative/fiction mode for a while. There's a list. It waits for me. Tomorrow I will work on my doctor resume and a physician leadership application that's due. Talk about switching gears, huh?
5) Clean out the closet and/or bathroom. See item #2. Don't know why the closest gets picked, but this activity is a thing. I go through and throw out clothes I haven't worn in over a year, and tidy up a lot of book stuff that is stored in there. After every manuscript. And the bathroom gets an industrial cleaning.
6) Write a blog post. Voila!
7) Buy something fun. I used coupons + a sale and got a few skin products for the amazing price of $14.29 when it was all said and done. (I do like a good deal!)
What rituals or rewards do other folks enjoy when they finish a draft or a complete manuscript? Let me know -- I might pick up some good ideas to use after my next book!